TouchDesigner 101 – The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Derivative TouchDesigner
Whether it was a multi-room immersive art installation, a skyscraper with projectors generating content through social media APIs, or a next-level DJ set, we’ve all had a moment where we stood in awe while experiencing a TouchDesigner installation.
If you’re like me, your experience was so profound it led you to consider a career path that involved TouchDesigner.
And if you’re just like me, you realized quick that working with TouchDesigner is hard.
Like, really, really hard.
Why? Well, there are two reasons learning TouchDesigner for the first time can be so challenging:
- There is no clear TouchDesigner learning path. If you’re starting off learning TouchDesigner, you have two options available. First is the wiki, which is an incredibly dense reference resource. While there’s a lot in there, it can be complicated and time consuming to get the answer you seek – even for the pros. This problem is compounded for beginners, who aren’t given a starting point and don’t know which questions to ask, making the wiki more of a hurdle than an asset.
- Additionally, learning TouchDesigner isn’t just about learning one thing – it’s more like four or five. That’s because TouchDesigner requires you to have a working knowledge of six families of operators. While most people come to TouchDesigner with a grasp on one or two, few understand all six – let alone how they integrate with the TouchDesigner workflow.
It’s with this in mind that I created my latest course, “TouchDesigner 101 – The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Derivative TouchDesigner.” This 3-hour video course with project files provides the fundamentals necessary to begin creating interactive and immersive media immediately. It’ll save you hours trying to figure things out through community resources and the wiki, which – while great – aren’t designed for beginners.
Here’s exactly what’s included in “TouchDesigner 101 – The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Derivative TouchDesigner”:
- The fundamentals of the TouchDesigner paradigm: Never used a node-based programming environment before? I walk you through the basics of TouchDesigner logic and workflows, explaining exactly what nodes and wires are and how they work. This includes a walkthrough of the basic settings and preferences you can leverage in TouchDesigner that set you up for success and make your life easier.
- Discover all six of the operator families used by TouchDesigner, and how they integrate with the TouchDesigner workflow. I’ll walk you through an example project for each of them. Operator families include…
- Signal processing and channel data (CHOPs)
- Compositing and texture manipulation (TOPs)
- Procedural 3d and rendering (SOPs)
- Data processing (DATs)
- Materials and shading (MATs)
- User interface and controls (COMPs)
- Real time generative graphics basics: From generating graphics using dynamic noise data in real-time to audio-responsive 3D geometry, we’ll go through multiple examples of how to start creating beautiful generative content in TouchDesigner. Interactive, immersive, generative media is the reason you’re investing in learning TouchDesigner, and my course helps you get started creating it right away.
- Simple, day-1 preset system: Most TouchDesigner preset systems are too complicated for beginners. With my day-1 preset system, anyone can start creating presets without any prior TouchDesigner experience, which is a massive advantage most people don’t have when they’re starting out.
- Time-saving keyboard shortcuts and application tricks: This should be intuitive, but it’s not. Having these under your belt from the get-go is huge time-saver.
- The course material is covered through 3 hours of video training
Once you’re finished TouchDesigner 101, you’ll be able to IMMEDIATELY begin creating immersive media in TouchDesigner. You’ll also have the foundation necessary to properly leverage the wiki, community, and more advanced tutorials and educational resources to take your TouchDesigner work as far as you want to go.
So don’t wait – click the button below and grab “TouchDesigner 101 – The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Derivative TouchDesigner” today.
"Elburz has been an essential guide for me in this exciting and growing industry. He demystified many of the inner workings of TouchDesigner in my early days and has come in clutch with solutions on a number of high-profile installations we've worked on together since."
Elburz is the Immersive Technical Director of zero11zero, lead of nVoid division, and is one of the leading authorities on TouchDesigner.
He has worked on product launches, permanent installations, and worldwide tours with clients like Google, Kanye West, Giorgio Armani, Burj Khalifa, VISA, Nike, US Open, TIFF, American Express, Seattle Art Museum, Cannes Lions, Axwell & Ingrosso, Verizon, McDonalds, IBM, and many more. Elburz has lead teams across the world from Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Montreal, Toronto, Shanghai, Singapore, Tokyo, Bangkok, Dubai, Scotland, and Paris.