Join the Broader Conversation: How to Use External Data and APIs in Your TouchDesigner Installations
Want to level-up your TouchDesigner skills and create projects that can intelligently make content and generative decisions using weather and climate data?
How about installations that span forty-story high-rises that use Twitter posts to prompt generative designs?
Big clients – with big budgets – demand a level of immersion deeper than the use of Microsoft Kinect and Leap Motion interaction. They want to integrate social media, custom web apps and their own CMS to create interactive installations that bring people together in a way they haven’t experienced before.
In short, they want to use technology to become part of the broader conversation.
Fortunately for us, we’re able to deliver this level of immersion by integrating external data sources into our TouchDesigner projects.
The catch? Bringing external APIs into TouchDesigner can be challenging:
- You need some basic Python coding ability to integrate external data sources with TouchDesigner. If you’re like most artists working with TouchDesigner, your coding skills are limited.
- Figuring out how to integrate data natively in TouchDesigner is particularly challenging. While you can find python tutorials that teach you how to get API data, they don’t show you how to get it to work for your TouchDesigner projects.
That’s why I created my latest training, "Join the Broader Conversation: How to Use External Data and APIs in Your TouchDesigner Installations". Made for the complete Python beginner, the training provides you with everything you need to begin integrating external data sources with your TouchDesigner projects.
When you’re done you'll be able to charge more and secure bigger projects than you would previously.
In this 1.5 hour video training (which includes example project files), we will:
- Setup your Python programming environment within TouchDesigner.
- Look at two sample projects, one using the GitHub API and one using the Twitter API.
- Walk through how to register, get credentials, and read API documentation. This can be a daunting process and typically deters newcomers.
- Get answers to common problems, such as how to work with Big Data without experiencing performance issues.
- Receive 2 project file templates that you can use in your projects however you like.
Without any guidance, I’ve found that learning to integrate external data natively into TouchDesigner takes new designers between 20-40 hours – and that’s not including the trial and error phase that comes with implementing these concepts for the first time. Many people quit out of frustration.
The best part?
I’m offering "Join the Broader Conversation: How to Use External Data and APIs in Your TouchDesigner Installations" training for $125. Click the button below to learn more and grab the training today.
"Elburz is a master, and as a teacher he uniquely takes on the seemingly mundane but ultimately very important micro lessons woven into the macro techniques which makes for a highly productive and holistic approach to learning. His attention to detail, sense of humor, and worldly perspective on the industry makes him a perfect teacher."
Elburz is the co-founder of The Interactive & Immersive HQ, the Immersive Technical Director of zero11zero, lead of nVoid division, and is one of the leading authorities on TouchDesigner.
He has worked on product launches, permanent installations, and worldwide tours with clients like Google, Kanye West, Giorgio Armani, Burj Khalifa, VISA, Nike, US Open, TIFF, American Express, Seattle Art Museum, Cannes Lions, Axwell & Ingrosso, Verizon, McDonalds, IBM, and many more. Elburz has lead teams across the world from Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Montreal, Toronto, Shanghai, Singapore, Tokyo, Bangkok, Dubai, Scotland, and Paris.